Animal Nursing Assistants BTEC Level 2
About this course
This course will give you the skills and knowledge required to play a valuable supporting role to professionally qualified staff in a veterinary practice and to help to advise owners in the correct management of their pets.
In addition to covering a wide variety of animal care and nursing procedures this course will also give you the opportunity to acquire other valuable skills which are vital to the success of this role.
What will I learn?
You will complete a variety of units including:
- Companion Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Maintain animal accommodation
- Providing feed and water
- Delivering basic treatments
- Principals of Animal Nursing Assistants
- Principals of infection control for animal nursing assistants
- Companion animal parasitology and zoonosis
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be by portfolio based coursework and some practical assessments.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
- Science at grade D
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
College - Level 3 vocational courses, including the BTEC in Animal Management Careers - this qualification may create direct entry to employment as an animal nursing assistant in a veterinary practice
This is a one year course that involves study in College combined with a veterinary-based work placement. You will need to find an appropriate placement for one day a week.