Horse Care BTEC Level 2
About this course
This Level 2 course will provide essential skills and a foundation for a successful career within the equine industry. It offers a practical experience within an equine establishment in addition to academic study. We cater for a wide range of skills and abilities and aim to develop a sound level of competence when caring for and handling horses.
You will be based at an equine establishment for two days a week and spend one day a week in College.
What will I learn?
During the course you will complete 7 units including:
- Undertaking Industry Experience
- Principles of Feeding and Watering Horses
- Horse Handling
- Animal Health and Welfare
- Horse Behaviour
- Introduction to Keeping Horses at Grass
- Horse Biology
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is by assignment-based coursework and some practical work.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Level 3 vocational courses, including Animal Management
- Careers- potential employment within a riding establishment, tack shop, competition, livery or hunt yard
You will need suitable outdoor clothing and footwear as you will be working outside in all weathers.