Art & Design A Level
About this course
A team of practising arts professionals will work closely with you to develop the creative skills you will need to pursue a career in Art and Design.
We offer an expansive range of techniques and disciplines so that you are able to make informed choices for your future career. Through one-to-one teaching and support, we will help you gain confidence in your learning, as well opening new opportunities to develop your critical knowledge of contemporary and historical art practice. Your skills will be nurtured through a range of practical hands on projects that will allow you to explore a broad approach to Fine Art making.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following units:
- Course Work Portfolio
- Externally Set Assignment (practical assignment)
- Personal Investigation
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed primarily by coursework with exams in units 2 (5 hours) and 4 (15 hours). The exams will be set in the studio under exam conditions with access to materials and practical facilities.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Art at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- College Progression - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching
- University - Degrees in Fine Art, Illustration,Surface Pattern & Textiles, Architecture,Secondary Education with Art and PrimaryEducation
- Careers - Fine artist, illustrator, designer-maker,graphic designer, architect, teacher
The course also offers regular opportunities to visit local and internationally leading galleries around the
country. Art & Design combines well with Textiles, GraphicCommunication, Photography, English Language and/ or Literature and History.