Art & Design BTEC Level 3
About this course
This multi-disciplinary course provides you with the opportunity to explore pathways within a range of specialist Art and Design areas including Fine Art, 3D Design, Graphics, and Textiles. After completing a broad first year that introduces skills and relevant vocational understanding of each of the specialist areas, you will choose specific pathways in Year 2 and the course will be tailored to your individual interests and progression options.
You will learn how to use both 2D and 3D visual language, as well as develop an understanding of the importance of historical and contextual influences on contemporary artists and designers. You will learn how to use equipment safely, experiment with materials and processes and explore your own creativity through an exciting range of practical assignments. You will work in collaboration with other students as well as individually and will have lots of opportunities to go out on gallery visits and take part in experiences that will open up your understanding of the visual arts.
What will I learn?
- Visual Recording in Art and Design
- Materials, Techniques and Processes in Art and Design
- Ideas and Concepts in Art and Design
- Communication through Art and Design
- Contextual Influences in Art and Design
- Application, Exploration and Realisation in Art and Design
- Design Methods in Art and Design
- Personal and Professional Development in Art and Design
- Art and Design Specialist Contextual Investigation
- Words and Images in Graphic Design
- Developing and Realising Fine Art Ideas
- Painting in Fine Art
- Exploring Specialist Techniques
- Extending Specialist Techniques
- Developing and Realising Design Craft Ideas
- Surface Pattern
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed throughout the course by submitting practical work on completion of each project.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Art, Textiles or Graphics at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Graphics, Web Design & Multimedia HNC or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - degree in a related art or other subject
- Careers - graphic designer, fine artist, textile designer, jewellery designer, theatre set designer, art and design teacher, exhibitions officer, curator, landscape architect, furniture designer
A portfolio of artwork that demonstrates your ability and passion for subject may be required at your interview.
There are numerous trips to local and national galleries including New Art Gallery Walsall, The Pitt Rivers Museum Oxford, the V&A, Tate Modern and the Natural History Museum in London.
There is a residential field trip at the end of the first year, which is an exciting conclusion to the year and forms the basis of your thinking for the 2nd year of the course.