Fashion for Design & Retail BTEC Level 3
About this course
This course develops skills and knowledge in various Fashion techniques. Drawing, printing, Photoshop, embroidery, illustration, dressmaking and tailoring are just some of the processes that are used to design and make textiles and garments.
You will research industry standard project briefs to develop and extend your learning and the College's annual Fashion Show is a celebration of the skills and knowledge that you have gained. You will complete 18 units over the 2 year programme and the units that are there to help you to achieve your goals and extend your skills.
What will I learn?
- Visual Recording in Art & Design - Drawing and painting is the basis of all your creative exploration. The workshops help to develop ideas for surface pattern and garment design.
- Ideas and Concepts - You will complete projects showing exploration and development of your design ideas. You will produce a sketchbook showing development, artist research, mood boards, design sheets, range building and final outcomes. You will reflect on your own work to help you to extend your ideas further.
- Fashion Illustration - You will explore CAD and hand drawn techniques in illustration, an essential part of any textiles or fashion designers' portfolio. This will help you to communicate your ideas.
- Garment Construction - You will gain valuable practice in dressmaking and tailoring techniques. This will support your development in designing and making garments.
- Fashion Styling - Styling a photo-shoot or a catwalk show is an important way for designers to help communicate their ideas. You will develop your understanding of the job role through completing each project with a photo-shoot and be involved in the catwalk show in both the first and second year.
How will I be assessed?
Your coursework will be continually assessed by completing a series of projects and exhibiting your work.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Textiles or Art at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Graphics, Web Design & Multimedia HNC or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - degree courses in Fashion Design, Fashion Buying, Fashion Styling, Textiles, Fashion & Business, Fashion & Marketing, Costume Design, Surface Pattern and Interior Design
- Careers - designer, buyer, stylist, retail management and in visual merchandising
You may be asked to bring a portfolio of your work to an interview.
You will participate in field trips to galleries and exhibitions. Market research and shopping is also a requirement of the course.