Media Studies A Level
About this course
Are you interested in how your opinions about the world are shaped and influenced by the media products you consume? Have you ever considered how those products are put together, by whom and for whom? Media Studies offers you the chance to explore and analyse a wide range of media texts to identify the messages and values they contain, as well as giving you the opportunity to produce your own media products.
What will I learn?
During the course you will:
- Learn and develop practical skills including camera and editing skills and desktop publishing
- Create your own media products
- Research an area of the media that interests you
Course units will include:
- Media Representations and Responses (Year 1) - This unit explores a wide range of media texts, including films, magazines and adverts to identify and analyse similarities and differences in their style, content and target audiences.
- Media Production Processes (Year 1) - In this coursework unit you will have the opportunity to work in small groups or individually to plan, research and produce your own media product.
- Media Investigation and Production (Year 2) - During this coursework unit you will conduct detailed, analytical research into an area of the media which interests you, leading to the production and evaluation of a media product of your own.
- Media: Text, Industry and Audience (Year 2) - This unit involves the study of media industries (the people who produce media texts), the people who consume them (the audience) and the relationship between the two. It will include the study of a variety of media texts including films, magazines and TV programmes.
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed by written exams and coursework.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Business & Media Production Foundation Degree or Graphics, Web Design and Multimedia HNC
- University - media-related degree
- Careers - TV, film, advertising, public relations
Media Studies combines well with Communication & Culture, Film Studies, English, Graphic Communication, Sociology and Photography.