Media Studies A Level
About this course
Are you interested in how your opinions about the world are shaped and influenced by the media products you consume?
Have you ever considered how those products are put together, by whom and for whom?
Media Studies offers you the chance to explore and analyse a wide range of media texts to identify the messages and values they contain, as well as giving you the opportunity to produce your own media products.
What will I learn?
During the course you will:
- Learn and develop practical skills including camera and editing for moving image and print-based desktop publishing
- Create your own media products
- Develop your analytical skills and knowledge of media forms, industries and audiences
- Media Products, Industries and Audiences
- Analysing Media Language and Representation
- Understanding Media Industries and Audiences
Media Forms and Products in Depth
- Television in the Global Age
- Magazines - Mainstream and Alternative Media
- Media in the Online Age
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed by written exams (70%) and coursework (30%).
There will also be mock exams and other opportunities where your knowledge and understanding is assessed throughout the year.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 5 GCSEs with 2 at Grade B/6 and 3 at Grade C/4.
Additional Requirement: Grade 5 in English
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Creative Media Production HND or Graphics, Web Design and Multimedia HNC
- University - related degree, such as Media, Communications, Film & Photography
You will use industry-standard equipment including Apple Mac computers.
Media Studies combines well with Film Studies, English, Graphic Communication, Sociology and Photography.