Photography & Creative Media BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
About this course
This exciting and creative 2 year vocational course has been designed for students who wish to work in the creative media industries as a photographer or visual designer. The course includes the study of traditional and modern photography techniques, both dark room and digital practices are taught as part of the diploma. The course is essentially a creative one where students develop skills in beauty, fashion, portrait, product, field and experimental photography. Students are encouraged to work with mixed media, eg photography and line making, photography and 3D sculpture and photography for graphic design. Students will learn essential skills in producing photographic images for print, screen and exhibition. The course will provide students with the opportunity to build a portfolio of photographic and creative work to enable them to progress to university or begin a career.
What will I learn?
You will encounter a variety of different units across the two years, including:
- 1 Visual Recording in Art and Design 10
- 2 Materials, Techniques and Processes in Art and Design 10
- 3 Ideas and Concepts in Art and Design 10
- 4 Communication Through Art and Design 10
- 6 Application, Exploration and Realisation in Art and Design 20
Unit Optional units (Photography specialist)
- 23 Photographic Media, Techniques and Technology 10
- 24 Photographic Studio Techniques 10
- 25 Studio Photography 10
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is through coursework that is ongoing throughout the two years of the course and will be through a variety of essays, presentations, group and individual projects.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, across a range of subjects including English Language
Other desirable qualifications would include GCSE Art & Design, Graphics and Media Studies. You will need to retake GCSE Maths as part of your programme if you do not have a grade C. You may be advised to retake GCSE Science, depending on your chosen career.
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Business & Media Production Foundation Degree, Art, Design & Media Foundation Studies Diploma or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - degree courses in photography and media production
- Careers - professional photography, visual design, visual research, television & film production, creative media sector employment