Photography BTEC Level 3
About this course
Photography combines core Art & Design based units with digital and traditional photography, including animation production, film and video techniques.
Although the core units have an art slant, they can be delivered utilising photography, with added influence from a variety of art and design methods. The course provides you with the opportunity to master key photographic practices and work with other students and course leaders within different subjects across the College campuses.
You should choose this course if you have an interest in Photography, can think creatively and are willing to develop your verbal communication skills. As photographers you have to be prepared to be in front of the camera and develop your ability to direct your potential models.
On completion of the course you will have built a portfolio of work that will provide employment opportunities in the Photography, Medical and Social Media sector and also offer opportunities for study at university.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study core units in Art & Design, Photography, and Film and Video.
Art & Design units include:
- Visual Recording in Art and Design
- Materials, Techniques and Processes in Art and Design
- Application, Exploration and Realisation in Art and Design
Photography units include:
- Studio Photography
- Location Photography
- Experimental Photography
Film and Video units include:
- Animation (Photoshop and/or Flash)
- Film and Video Editing Techniques
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is by coursework that includes an extended project in both years of the course and working in a cross-curricular manner (working with other subject areas).
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
Desirable subjects include Art & Design, Graphics or Photography
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Graphics, Web Design & Multimedia HNC or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University Progression - degree courses in Photography and Media Production
- Careers - professional photography, visual design, visual research, television & film production, creative media sector employment
Field trips will be arranged to provide opportunities for you to photograph and visually record a wide variety of subject matter and also to visit galleries to explore artists' work for inspiration.
You must be willing to carry out a large number of photo shoots in order to achieve your goals.
One shoot with 12-300 photographs does not always mean you have captured the correct photo to fulfill your assignments. Like most subjects at Level 3, you have to commit additional hours outside taught lessons in order to achieve success.