Textiles A Level
About this course
This exciting course is designed to inspire the next generation of fashion and interior textile designers.
You will be introduced to a wide variety of innovative techniques that push the boundaries of textile design.
Throughout the course you will explore screen printing, surface decoration and constructive textiles techniques; inspired by the world’s leading designers. You will:
- Develop your drawing and designing skills using both industry standard software and traditional techniques
- Research contextual sources of historical and contemporary textile designers, fashion, art & design practitioners
- Explore a range of textile techniques and processes through a wide variety of media, to produce your own body of work
- Visit galleries and exhibitions to inspire and inform your ideas
What will I learn?
Year 1: Portfolio and Externally Set Assignment
You will explore an exciting range of techniques and approaches supported by analysis and discussion of the work of various Textile artists and designers, whilst completing a series of projects culminating in an extended personal project from February to May.
This extended year 1 project will conclude with an ambitious timed 10 hour piece.
Year 2: Personal Investigation and Externally Set Assignment
Building on the skills and ideas explored in year one, you will undertake two major practical components (projects).
Possible areas of study include; illustrative embroidery, interior design, textile installation, accessories, fine art textiles, constructed textiles (weaving), surface pattern design (printing), costume and fashion design.
The Personal Investigation will be supported by a written piece of work of 1,000-3,000 words and the year will conclude in a 15 hour practical examination.
How will I be assessed?
Work is assessed in through coursework and examination.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 5 GCSEs with 2 at Grade B/6 and 3 at Grade C/4.
Additional Requirements: Grade 5 in an Art & Design subject, or a BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design may be accepted with a strong portfolio
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching
- University - related degree, such as Textile Design, Fashion Design, Surface Pattern Design, and Costume Design.
As your project work is highly individual in nature, you will be guided and supported by your course lecturer, who will offer feedback and discuss approaches with you on a one to one basis.
Practical demonstrations will be given on key techniques and skills. You will also learn a great deal from formal presentations and from group presentations and critique.
We suggest you bring a basic art/textiles kit to include fine liners, sketchbooks, scissors and a sewing kit. An equipment list will be given at induction.
Textiles combine well with Art & Design, English Language & Literature, and Media Studies.