Are you interested in a career in the Armed Forces, (Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force or Royal Marines) or any number of other public service careers?
This two-year course has been developed with employers and professional bodies from the uniformed public services to ensure that it is appropriate for those interested in working in the public services sector.
The course will introduce you to the necessary practical skills and knowledge that are required for a successful career in the uniformed public services. This course also provides valuable life skills and knowledge which can be applied to many career paths.
KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE INCLUDE:
- A wide range of units including:
- War, Conflict and Terrorism
- International Institutions and Human Rights
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Command and Control in the Uniformed Public Services
- Planning and Management of Major Incidents
- Current and Media Affairs in Public Services
- Wearing a Public Services themed uniform each day in college
- Taking part in formal parades, undertaking drill training and opportunities to gain additional qualifications
- Assessed expeditions, including overnight camping, as part of the course
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed by coursework
- These will include regular practical assessment opportunities involving teamwork, leadership, peer assessment and outdoor activities.
- It will also include a mixture of presentations, reports, group discussions, timed assessments and other written and in-class assessments.
What do I need?
You will need to have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at Grade 4 and above, including English.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - you can progress to an exciting range of higher level courses, including Policing or Sport HNDs. An Apprenticeship could also be considered.
- University - related degrees including Armed Forces, Policing & Intelligence, Criminology, Fire & Rescue, Social Work, Sociology, Security & Crime Science, Public Services, Policing and Law.
- Careers - This course is ideal if you are interested in a career in the uniformed protective service sector in roles such as Non-Commissioned Service in the Armed Forces, Officer in the Armed Forces, Fire & Rescue, Prison Officer, Probation Officer, Border Force Officer, Civil Servant, Local Authority Administrator and other Protective Services Roles.
- Residential trips as part of the assessment process with activities typically including camping, walking expeditions, rock climbing, canoeing and kayaking
- Use of College facilities such as Fitness Suite, Sports Hall, All-Weather Pitch, Outdoor Gym, on-site Obstacle Course
- Trips to Protective Services facilities, typically including Law Courts, County Air Ambulance, RAF Cosford
- Visits from members of the Protective Services, including the Armed Forces, Civil Servants and Prison Officers
- 30 hours of Work Experience in a relevant career setting
- There is a fee that contributes towards the residential trips and uniform costs. Financial support is available to eligible learners