ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages
About this course
This course is suitable for students whose first language is not English. It is also ideal for students who have only been at school in the UK for 4 years (or less).
This course combines English language skills development with a range of units designed to prepare you for the world of work and/or further education.
What will I learn?
These are some of the things you will do on your course
- English & Maths - you will study Functional Skills English and Functional Skills or GCSE Maths
- ICT Skills -you will develop skills in using the internet and will use everyday software applications to create documents.
- Personal Budgeting & Managing Money - in this unit you will learn what is income and expenditure and be able to produce a simple budget plan
- Local Community & Citizenship - this unit will give an introduction to rights and responsibilities and public services available in your own community
- Diversity in Society - in this unit you will know about diversity and different social groups
- Teamwork - this unit introduces you to communication skills and group work
How will I be assessed?
During the course you will complete a range of units and compile a portfolio. There will be on-going assessment of your coursework.
What do I need?
- Maths and English assessment plus satisfactory interview
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - vocational courses Entry 3, Level 1, Level 2 or Pre-Access - previous students have progressed to Travel and Tourism, Business, Retail & IT Users, Childcare, Hair & Beauty, Public Services, Hospitality & Catering, Graphic Design, Applied Science, Maths (A Level) and Pre-Access.
- Careers - relevant employment in your chosen career
You will take part in a work experience placement.
You will have the opportunity to go on a trip each term. Previous trips have been to Alton Towers and local places of interest.