Complementary Therapy Level 3
About this course
This course has been designed to prepare you for a career as a complementary therapist, whether it’s as an aromatherapist, reflexologist or massage therapist/practitioner.
This qualification will develop your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice and business possibilities for complementary therapies.
In addition you will learn about anatomy, physiology and pathology for complementary therapies.
You will also develop your understanding of this fascinating industry and acquire the skills to provide body massage, aromatherapy and reflexology.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following:
- Business Practice - learn skills of how to set up a small business and keep it viable
- Principle & Practice - enhance your knowledge of the history and origins of complementary therapy
- Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology - learn about all systems of the body, how they work collaboratively plus diseases and disorders
- Body Massage - learn massage skills to bring about general well being of clients
- Reflexology - learn to carry out reflexology to the feet and hands using acupressure on pressure points that mirror image all the systems of the body
- Aromatherapy - learn to blend prescriptive essential oils for use in massage to bring about equilibrium
- Indian Head massage - learn massage techniques for the head, face, neck and shoulders to help with various ailments
To further enhance your employability skills there will be opportunities for you to complete a one week work placement.
This compulsory aspect of the course gives you the chance to apply the knowledge gained in class to the real world of work.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment of coursework, including the completion of a study workbook and assignments, together with exams in Anatomy & Physiology.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English.
Alternative Requirement: a Level 2 or 3 Beauty qualification may also be considered.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - a related degree such as Complementary Therapy and Complementary Healthcare
It may be possible for you to study the Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage alongside the Complementary Therapy Qualification.
Other enrichment activities could include workshops in Crystals, Hot Stones, Vertical Reflexology, Auricular Ear Candles, Reiki, Tai Chi and Yoga.
Guest speakers from within the industry, for example Steiner Cruise Liners, regularly visit the College to give advice about setting up a small business or potential careers.
There are opportunities for work experience and for entering competitions such as the ‘World Skills’ competition in reflexology & aromatherapy. Trips to day spas may also be possible.