Complementary Therapy Level 3 Diploma
About this course
This course has been designed to prepare you for a career as a complementary therapist, whether it's as an aromatherapist, reflexologist or massage therapist/practitioner.
This qualification will develop your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice and business possibilities for complementary therapies.
In addition you will learn about anatomy, physiology and pathology for complementary therapies.
You will also develop your understanding of this fascinating industry and acquire the skills to provide body massage, aromatherapy and reflexology.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following:
- Business Practice - learn skills of how to set up a small business and keep it viable
- Principle & Practice - enhance your knowledge of the history and origins of complementary therapy
- Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology - learn about all systems of the body, how they work collaboratively plus diseases and disorders
- Body Massage - learn massage skills to bring about general well being of clients
- Reflexology - learn to carry out reflexology to the feet and hands using acupressure on pressure points that mirror image all the systems of the body
- Aromatherapy - learn to blend prescriptive essential oils for use in massage to bring about equilibrium
How will I be assessed?
Assessment of coursework, including the completion of a study workbook and assignments, together with exams in Anatomy & Physiology.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- a Level 2 or 3 Beauty qualification may also be considered
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Business HNC with Salon Management or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - a related degree course
- Careers - as a therapist in beauty salons, spas, hospitals and hospices, or self-employment
It may be possible for you to study the Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage alongside the Complementary Therapy Qualification.
Other enrichment activities could include workshops in Crystals, Hot Stones, Vertical Reflexology, Auricular Ear Candles, Reiki, Tai Chi and Yoga.
Guest speakers from within the industry, for example Steiner Cruise Liners, regularly visit the College to give advice about setting up a small business or potential careers.
There are opportunities for work experience and for entering competitions such as the 'World Skills' competition in reflexology & aromatherapy. Trips to day spas may also be possible.