Counselling Skills NCFE Level 2 Certificate
About this course
The nature of this level of counselling involves a degree of self-awareness and personal development. It is important that you consider that you may not be ready for this course if you have undergone any significant life change or loss in the last 12 months
This course is designed for those people who wish to involve themselves in helping either in a professional or voluntary capacity. The course will offer the opportunity for participants to examine their own personal development and enhance their self- awareness. It will include various communication skills and methods and their application in various situations, including experimental learning, group work, taking into account ethical considerations.
The course is suitable for professionals employed in education, welfare or social services wishing to develop a counselling/helping/mentoring role. It is also appropriate for those working in a voluntary capacity with self-help groups or other agencies. It will be necessary to do extra reading and research at home, at least 5-7 hours a week. A reading list will be provided and you will need to obtain one or two books.
A commitment to equal opportunities is an essential component of this course.
At least 5-7 hours of study at home per week will be required.
What will I learn?
This course consists of four mandatory units:
1. Using Counselling Skills
2. Introduction to Counselling Skills Theories
3. Diversity and Ethics in the Use of Counselling Skills
4. Counselling Skills and Personal Development
How will I be assessed?
Continuous assessment through assignments/projects/reflective journals and portfolio building.
Completion of portfolio by end of course which will be internally and externally assessed.
A completed portfolio of evidence is mandatory by the end of the course for final assessment to take place.
External verifiers may request copies of your portfolio but your confidentiality will be kept at all times.
Please note: a minimum of 90% attendance for this course is mandatory and your attendance will be monitored.
What do I need?
Candidates will need to 16 or over to enrol on this course.
No prior knowledge is required.
Note to applicants: In this course you will be expected to talk about yourself in a classroom environment and have mandatory attendance of at least 90% for the duration of the course. As this is an introduction to the Counselling training you need to be aware that you will be expected to do a lot of use of self-reflection and this could result in highlighting things that have happened and impacted on your life. You need to think carefully before embarking on this course to ensure that it is the right course for you at this time in your life as it will not be a place for you to have group therapy it will be an academic/teaching course that will help you learn and develop counselling skills.
Students will need to be prepared to seek outside help/college counsellor if it becomes apparent (or if the tutor advises) that they need to ensure their own emotional safety.
Where can it take me?
NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Counselling Skills followed by Edexcel Level 5 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
Will this course lead to a formal qualification?
NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
What is required for the first class?
Writing materials and a lever arch folder for portfolio building.
A book list will be provided and it is recommended that you obtain one book from the list. Books at candidates own expense.
Who can I contact about the course?
Part Time Admissions on 0121 602 7799
Who is the course leader?
Sue Harvey firstname.lastname@example.org telephone: 0121 602 7792
How much will the course cost?
Tuition Fee (2017-18)
- Full Tuition Fee - £811.00
- Aged 16-18 - 100% discount - £0.00 Aged 19+ Are in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance (wider benefits in some circumstances) - 100% discount. - £0.00
- Aged 19+ Are in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance (wider benefits in some circumstances) - 100% discount. - £0.00
- Aged 19-23 with no Level 2 qualification. If you do not hold a level 2 qualification e.g. 5 or more GCSEs at Grade C or above, a Level 2 BTEC etc. - 100% discount. - £362.00
- Aged 19-23 with a Level 2 qualification. If you already hold a Level 2 qualification, e.g. 5 or more GCSEs at Grade C or above, a Level 2 BTEC etc. - £362.00
- Aged 24+ with no Level 2 Qualification. If you do not hold a Level 2 qualification, e.g. 5 or more GCSEs at Grade C or above, a Level 2 BTEC etc. - 50% discount - £362.00
- Aged 24+ with a full Level 2 Qualification - e.g. 5 or more GCSEs at Grade C or above, a Level 2 BTEC etc. - 50% discount - £362.00
- Awarding Body Fee TBC
- Professional Registration Fee £TBC
- Examination TBC
- Kit/Equipment/materials TBC
- DBS TBC
Only tuition fee payable at enrolment. Awarding body registration fee will be need to be paid in first term of the course.