Food Safety in Catering Level 2 Award
About this course
This qualification will give you knowledge and understanding of the importance of food hygiene, associated food hazards, good hygiene practice and controls based upon an awareness of food safety management systems.
Holders will know how to maintain good practice in the handling, processing and preparation of safe food.
What will I learn?
Sources and Risks to Food Safety from Contamination and Cross Contamination
- Biological, chemical, physical and allergenic hazards to food safety
- Role of microorganisms in food poisoning
- Growth requirements of microorganisms
- High risk foods
- Importance of toxins and spores
- Sources of food poisoning bacteria
- Examples of chemical and physical hazards and allergens
- How these hazards get into food
- Contamination and cross-contamination
- Contamination vehicles such as hands, cloths and equipment, hand contact surfaces, food contact surfaces
- Contamination routes
- Procedures for reducing the food safety risk from allergens
- Spoilage of food by bacteria and moulds
- Appearance of spoiled food
- Reporting procedures and disposal of spoiled food
Safe Food Handling Practices and Procedures
- Importance of thorough cooking of food and keeping prepared food out of the “Temperature Danger Zone”
- Destruction of bacterial toxins and spores
- Maintaining hot or cold temperatures
- Reheating, cooling and thawing food
- Use of microwave ovens
- Refrigerating and freezing
- Prevention of contamination and cross-contamination
- Correct use of heated trolleys, cupboards and food service counters
- Correct use of chillers and chilled food service counters
- Holding times and temperatures for different foods
- Prevention of contamination and cross contamination during the holding and serving of food
How will I be assessed?
Attainment of the Learning Outcomes will be assessed by a multiple-choice examination. A candidate who is able to satisfy the learning outcomes will be awarded a score of at least 20/30 in the examination.
What do I need?
There are no entry requirements.
What is required for the first class?
Notepad and pens
Who can I contact about the course?
Admissions 0121 602 7777
Who is the course leader?
Full Fee: £50
You pay: £25