English Language & Literature A Level
About this course
This course is ideal if you love reading, writing and talking about texts as it gives you the opportunity to read widely and write for a number of different purposes and audiences.
Your reading will include prose, poetry and drama, as well as non-fiction texts, by writers from diverse backgrounds.
There are lots of opportunities for discussion and exchange of ideas. Alongside essay writing, you will have the opportunity to write creatively.
Frequent feedback on your work, from well qualified subject specialists and opportunities to evaluate a range of texts, supports you in reaching your full potential.
What will I learn?
During the course you will:
- Study a wide range of pre-1914 poetry and a novel
- Read and write about two plays, one of them by Shakespeare
- Explore non-literary texts, including spoken language
- Study a prose genre in depth, and produce coursework which will include an essay and creative writing
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed by written exams (80%) and coursework (20%).
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 5 GCSEs with 2 at Grade B/6 and 3 at Grade C/4.
Additional Requirement: Grade 5 in English and/or English Literature
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching
- University - related degree such as English, Communication and Education
There are opportunities throughout the course to take part in extra-curricular activities, such as theatre visits and exhibitions, to help you make an informed choice about university courses.
English Language and Literature combines well with most subjects including History and Law. It cannot be combined with A Level English Literature.