English Literature A Level
About this course
The course offers you the opportunity to read widely, and to write analytically and creatively in response to what you have read. Your reading will include prose, poetry and drama, by readers from diverse backgrounds. You will have the opportunity to select your own text for one of your assignments. Alongside essay writing, you will produce and evaluate your own imaginative work. You will be encouraged to develop your own interpretations of texts and to consider the interpretations of other readers. Frequent feedback on your work, from well qualified subject specialists, and lots of opportunities to discuss and share ideas, supports you in reaching your full potential.
What will I learn?
During the course you will:
- Study a range of poetry, both pre-1900 and post-1900
- Study pre-1900 and post-1900 drama
- Study a play by Shakespeare
- Develop the critical skills to write about prose and poetry which you have not studied as part of your course
- Produce coursework based on the reading of two prose texts by different authors
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed by written exams (80%) and coursework (20%).
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- English Literature at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching and Creative Writing Foundation Degree
- University - degree in a range of subjects, including English
- Careers - variety of careers, especially those where communication skills are important, such as teaching and journalism
This course is well suited to those who love reading and writing and talking about texts. There are opportunities throughout the course to take part in extra-curricular activities, such as visits to Shakespeare's Globe, theatre trips and master classes to help you make an informed choice about university courses English Literature combines well with most subjects including Communication, History and Law. It cannot be combined with A Level English Language and Literature.