German A Level
About this course
German is the second most widely spoken language in Europe and one of the common languages used in Business in the UK. With increased globalization and the opportunities offered by email and video-conferencing, a modern foreign language is an enormous asset in many spheres of life and work. The course has a four part structure and involves the development of four aspects of language. It will enhance your understanding of Europe and its cultural differences. During the course you will learn through a variety of exercises to read, listen to and understand texts from a variety of media sources. You will also present information, opinions and arguments either orally or on paper. The first term includes a diagnostic and bridging course to ensure you have the necessary basic knowledge and skills to achieve your full potential in German.
What will I learn?
During the course you will learn through a variety of exercises to read, listen to and understand texts from a variety of media sources. You will also present information, opinions and arguments either orally or on paper on the following subjects:
- Popular culture
- Healthy living
- The multicultural society
- Contemporary social issues
- Cultural topic
Course units will include listening, reading and writing, together with speaking tests.
How will I be assessed?
Assessments are in listening, reading, writing and speaking
- Listening, reading and writing: written paper - 2 hours
- Speaking: 35 minutes, including 20 minutes preparation, 5 minutes discussion and 10 minutes conversation
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- German at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching and Business HNC/D and Business & Law HNC/D
- University - degree in German or in combination with another subject such as marketing or business studies
- Careers - travel or tourism, in literature, journalism and the media
The languages programme at Halesowen College is about much more than classroom based activities. Through our partnerships with local schools and universities and through the range of extra curricular events available you will be able to practise your language skills and develop a deeper understanding of the culture and society of the relevant country, including:
- Trips to European cities
- Visits to universities, including interactive language-based study days
- Languages Film Club
- Mentoring and helping younger pupils
You can combine German with most other subjects.