Dance BTEC Level 3
About this course
If you are committed and enthusiastic about having a career in Dance this is the course for you.
The course has been developed to prepare you for higher education and for a variety of careers in the dance industry.
The content of the course offers an exciting opportunity to develop your dance skills and creativity through the study of Contemporary, Ballet and Jazz techniques, performance skills and choreography to assist you in your future. During the course you will study eighteen units which will be graded.
These units will be spread over the two year course and will be taught by a variety of dance lecturers.
What will I learn?
- Contemporary Technique
- Ballet Technique
- Jazz Technique
- Urban Dance
- Movement Studies
- Dance Improvisation
- The Historical Context of Performance
- The Performing Arts Business
- Dance Appreciation
How will I be assessed?
Coursework is assessed so there are no written examinations. On the course an assignment can be in the form of a practical or written activity.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- You must have some dance experience and as part of the interview process you will be invited to a dance workshop to enable you to experience a basic contemporary dance class and to ensure you are applying for the correct course
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - degree or vocational dance training
- Careers - a career in dance either as a performer/choreographer, teacher, therapist or administrator
While studying on the course there will be opportunities to go on trips to see live professional dance works and work with professional visiting choreographers and teachers.
There is also the option of taking an extra qualification which will enable you to gain work experience, create a College company and take on a role within the company to broaden your knowledge and understanding of the dance industry.
This qualification could increase your UCAS points and university options.