Musical Theatre BTEC Level 3
About this course
Musical Theatre is a demanding and popular discipline in the Performing Arts industry and this course aims to train you to improve your technique and understanding of the three fundamental disciplines of acting, singing and dancing.
Focusing on each skill individually you will take classes in singing, voice and acting technique and jazz, contemporary and commercial dance styles across the course.
This will enable you to master your talents through rehearsal, performance and coursework, integrating your skills and increasing your understanding of many musical roles.
You will experience a range of musical repertoire and learn about characterisation through group and solo performance work combining the 3 skills of Musical Theatre.
Publicly assessed performance work will include auditions, showcases and full scale musical productions, preparing you for a career in the musical theatre industry.
How will I be assessed?
- A combination of performance, coursework and theory
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- You will be expected to attend a performance audition involving a piece of your choice
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Music HND or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - Performing Arts degree or Musical Theatre/Drama/Performing Arts School
- Careers - professional performer or director, choreographer, teacher
As part of the course you will undertake at least one theatre trip and be required to attend extra rehearsals when preparing for a show.
There will be a group workshop audition as part of enrolment onto the course.
Throughout the course there will be opportunities to undertake workshops with professional performers and be involved in external performance projects.