Applied Biology HND
Course Location: Whittingham Road Campus
- Full-time over 1 or 2 years
- Part-time over 2 years
- Part-time total tuition fees - £12,120
- Full-time total tuition fees - £12,000
- Top-up from HNC - £6,000
Please note that we are currently unable to accept international students.
UCAS course code: C110
How to apply
About this course
This is an ideal course for students seeking immediate employment in the biological sciences industry or electing to complete a top up to a degree programme.
This course is aiming to equip individuals with the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to succeed in employment in biologically-based industries or enabling progression to an undergraduate degree or further professional qualification in applied biology or related areas.
The course is also suitable for students who have achieved fewer UCAS points than might be required to gain entry onto a BSc programme or for adults without a range of qualifications seeking to return to education after gaining experience in industry.
What will I learn?
- Unit 1 Cell Biology
- Unit 2: Biochemistry of Macromolecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Unit 3: Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals
- Unit 4: Laboratory Techniques for Applied Biology
- Unit 5: Analysis of Scientific Data and Information
- Unit 6: Project for Applied Science
- Plus 10 Specialist optional units dependent on staff specialisms
Students will study 150 credits.
What do I need?
- 96 UCAS Points
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Applied Sciences or a similar discipline; or
- 2 or more A Levels which must include Biology; or
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate preferably Science-based; or
- Have previously achieved an HNC in Applied Biology
This profile should be supported by GCSE grades A* to C in English Language and Maths.
Mature learners may present a more varied profile of achievement that is likely to include extensive work experience and/or achievement of a range of professional qualifications in their work sector.
Good Mathematics skills are essential. It would be an advantage to have GCSE Higher Mathematics and highly advantageous to have AS Mathematics.
Where can it take me?
Employment routes after completion of qualification
It is providing specialist studies relevant to individual vocations and professions in which learners are working in, or intend to seek employment in, the biological sciences and their related industries.
Top up routes after completion of the qualification
Those who wish to continue their studies can use this qualification to progress on to a full honours degree at many universities, in biologically based subject areas.