Applied Science - Medical BTEC Level 3
About this course
This course is ideal if you have an interest in science and wish to pursue a practical science, biochemistry, radiography, pharmacy or nursing.
During the course you will study a range of core units such as the fundamentals of science industry, which will help you to develop the individual learning skills that are valued by employers and in higher education.
What will I learn?
You will study Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Medical Science units and have the opportunity to carry out a one year individual investigation into a scientific topic of your choice.
You will have a chance to study optional units in year two, such as those related to Biomedical, Radiography and Microbiology.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by completing coursework, practical investigations, presentations and open book tests.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Science and Additional Science at grade C (BTEC Science distinction or merit may also be considered)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Applied Biology HNC/D, Applied Chemistry or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - in a range of Science related subjects
- Careers - jobs in science, particular at technician level
You will be expected to participate in enrichment days that involve assessments and practicals.
You will also be recommended to gain work experience during your study days to further develop your knowledge and skills and improve your employability and success in higher education.