Applied Science Subsidiary Diploma
About this course
Includes Biology, Chemistry & Physics
Applied Science is a coursework-based alternative to A Levels, which provides practical experience and looks at ways science is applied in the workplace, home and in medicine. It is a great option if you prefer assignments to exams and would like to study a science based subject at university.
This course is ideal if you have an interest in biology, chemistry and physics and wish to incorporate some aspects of these subjects into your education portfolio.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study key concepts in science in units such as fundamentals of science, scientific practical skills, and scientific investigation, which will help you to develop the individual learning skills that are valued by employers and in higher education. As well as this you will undertake a number of core units in biology, chemistry and physics.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by completing assignments, practical investigations, presentations and open book tests.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- You will need Science and Additional Science at grade C. BTEC Science may be considered at Distinction or Merit.
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- College Progression - Applied Biology, Applied Chemistry HNC/D or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University Progression - degree courses in a range of science related subjects
- Careers - related careers in science, particularly as a laboratory technician