Environmental Sustainability BTEC Level 3
About this course
The course enables you to study the way humans interact with their environment and its impact, for example, environmental degradation. The course looks at sustainable lifestyles and development.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following units:
- Understanding the Principles of Sustainable Development - which helps to develop awareness of the core themes and issues of sustainable development
- Science for Environmental Scientists - a practical based unit which helps develop the skills and knowledge that underpins the scientific content of the whole course
- Sustainable Communities - helps to develop an understanding of communities and the importance of planning and addressing economic, environmental and social issues
- Understanding the Principles of Wildlife Populations, Ecology and Conservation - which
- helps develop knowledge of the principles of Ecology and how they relate to the environment
- Pollution Control and Management - which cover origins and effects of pollutants and their control mechanisms
- Geology of Natural Resources - in which students explore the range of geological resources which modern society depends on
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by completing coursework.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Science and Additional Science at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University - to study Conservation, Environmental Sustainability, Environmental Sciences, Conservation or Pollution Control
- Careers - in environmental science - the sustainability sector is one of the fastest growing in the UK
There are opportunities for local fieldtrips to gather data and support your learning.
This course should be combined with A Levels.