Mathematics (Further) A Level
About this course
This course is ideal if you would like to study Mathematics in more detail.
By taking this fast track course you will study the full A Level Mathematics in the first year and the full A Level Further Mathematics qualification in the second year.
Further Mathematics will improve your understanding of the ways in which mathematicians, scientists and engineers communicate mathematically and will introduce you to a new and interesting range of topics.
Benefits for more able students
- A full A level Maths qualification and grade at the end of the first year
- A good idea of progression routes after the first year
- The prerequisite knowledge for a smooth transition into Further Maths in the second year
- An opportunity to resit and improve first year grades if required
What will I learn?
You will study the same modules as those for the A level with the addition of the following modules:
- Pure Mathematics - roots of polynomials, complex numbers, matrices, trigonometry, calculus, series, numerical methods, asymptotes and rational functions, parabolas, ellipses and hyperbolas, Maclaurin’s series, polar coordinates and curves, first and second order differential equations, Euler’s formula and identity and solving higher order polynomial equations using DeMoivres theorem, complex numbers, roots of polynomials, summation of finite series, DeMoivre’s theorem, and inverse trig functions, hyperbolic functions, group theory and vectors
- Mechanics - dimensional analysis, collisions, kinematics, statics and forces, moments, centres of mass, energy and power, kinematics with variable acceleration, horizontal and vertical circular motion
- Decision - network flows, graph theory, critical path analysis, linear programming, the Simplex Algorithm, and game theory
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed by written exams.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 5 GCSEs with 2 at Grade B/6 and 3 at Grade C/4.
Additional Requirement: Grade A*/8 in Maths
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching and HNC/Ds in Applied Biology, Applied Chemistry, Computing and Graphics, Web Design & Multi Media
- University - related degree such as Mathematics, Science, Medicine, Computing & Engineering, Medicine, Physics, Engineering, Philosophy
We are able to offer support if students would like to be entered for the STEP examinations.
Any other A Levels can be studied with A Level Further Mathematics.