Fitness Instructing & Personal Training Active IQ Level 3
About this course
This qualification has been designed to train you to a professionally competent level, enabling you to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes, which will develop the skills and knowledge you need to pursue a career in personal training.
The course includes the Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym) and the Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training.
You will also be required to complete a gym based work placement, giving you the valuable experience of working within the leisure industry.
What will I learn?
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Health & Safety
- Supporting Clients Taking Part in Exercise and Physical Activity
- Principles of Exercise
- Planning Gym Based Exercise
- Instructing Gym Based Exercise
- Principles of Nutrition
- Programming Personal Training with Clients
- Delivering Personal Training Sessions
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be portfolio/coursework, practical observation, worksheets and multiple choice question papers.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Science at grade C
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Sports Studies HND, Foundation Degrees and professional qualifications
- University Progression - advanced instructor qualifications
- Careers - fully qualified personal trainer working within gyms and leisure centres or working as a self-employed fitness professional
A keen interest and some experience of gym based exercise, including free weights, is highly recommended. The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential, therefore a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
Excursions include a day trip to the BodyPower Expo at the NEC Birmingham as well as a 5 day residential trip to Bude Outdoor Education Centre (subject to interest). The trip includes tailored curriculum based on programmes, including activities such as body boarding, coastal traversing, beach games, gorge walking, kayaking and abseiling and canoeing.
You will also need to purchase a College sports kit for all practical sessions and visits off site.