Fashion for Design & Retail BTEC Level 2
About this course
This course develops skills and knowledge in various techniques linked to the Fashion industry. It offers a wide variety of skills such as basic CAD, dress making, printing alongside drawing, painting and textiles.
It will also develop your retail skills by looking at methods of display used in visual merchandising and styling. You will research industry standard project briefs to develop and extend your learning and the College's Annual Fashion Show is a celebration of the skills and knowledge that you have gained.
You will complete 8 units over the 1 year programme and the units are there to help you to achieve your goals and extend your skills.
What will I learn?
- 2D Design Development - Drawing and painting is the basis of all your creative exploration. The workshops develop ideas for surface pattern, garment design and fashion illustration.
- 3D Design Development - You will complete projects showing exploration and development of your design ideas. You will produce workbooks showing development, artist research, design sheets and complete final outcomes based on these. You will evaluate your own work to help you improve future projects.
- Graphics for Fashion & Textiles - You will explore CAD and hand drawn techniques, an essential skill for any fashion designer. This will help you to develop your final outcomes.
- Visual Merchandising & Styling - You will style a photo-shoot and catwalk show as this is an important way for designers to help communicate their ideas. You will also gain visual merchandising skills by developing creative methods of displaying garments to entice customers into shops.
- Garment Construction - You will create a garment from concept to design and then to the catwalk.
How will I be assessed?
Your coursework will be continually assessed by completing a series of projects and exhibiting your work.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
- Art, Textiles or Graphics at grade D
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - a Level 3 Vocational course including Fashion for Design & Retail, Art & Design and Graphic Design
- Careers - Designer, buyer, stylist, retail management, visual merchandising, store management
You will participate in field trips to galleries and exhibitions. Market research and shopping are also requirements of the course.