Graphic Design BTEC Level 2
About this course
If you are interested in the world of Graphic Design this course will give you the opportunity to study the work of contemporary and historical artists, typographers and designers. You will also learn the traditional and digital skills required to develop your own ideas and creativity.
Through working in a variety of specialisms including drawing, printmaking, photography and digital design you will be able to explore, experiment and develop practical skills. This will enable you to learn about graphic design and the career opportunities available.
What will I learn?
- Exploring the Work of Artists and Designers - Study and respond to the work of artists and designers from history and the present day
- 2D Media, Materials and Techniques - Development of design and production techniques using a wide variety of materials and equipment, exploring both traditional and digital illustration
- 3D Media, Materials and Techniques - Explore, experiment and use three dimensional materials, methods and processes in a packaging design project
- Developing Ideas in Response to an Art & Design Brief - Explore, experiment and use materials, methods and processes to create a professional piece of graphic design
- Realising Art & Design Ideas - Explore how to come up with ideas and carry out a clothing surface design project where your ideas and skills can be applied and developed
- Exploring Photography - Develop an understanding of the use of photography in graphic work, explore and develop ideas and graphic outcomes using photography
- Exploring Graphic Design and Illustration - Consider the various ways Graphic Design and Illustration can be used in the real world; develop your own response to a brief and begin to recognise your own skills as a Graphic Designer
How will I be assessed?
This course is assessed through coursework.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
- Art, Textiles or Graphics at grade D
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - progress to a Level 3 Vocational course including, Art & Design, Graphic Design and Fashion for Design & Retail
- Careers - junior position or apprenticeship within art and design
You need to show an interest in art and design and should bring a portfolio of your own work to your interview. This can be a mixture of school work and personal work. We can also view your work from memory stick, digital device or online, eg DeviantArt.
You will also need some basic art equipment and materials as you will be expected to develop your project work outside taught studio time. Throughout the year there may be opportunities to go on trips, which can incur extra costs.