Children's Care, Learning and Development BTEC Level 2
About this course
This course offers an exciting opportunity to enter the world of Childcare. If you wish to follow a vocational programme of study, this course will enable you to put theory into practice in a nursery environment.
A practical placement in an Early Years setting is a mandatory and enjoyable part of the course.
You will be required to complete 2 days each week in a day nursery placement and must show a high level of commitment to this aspect of the award.
You must also display the ability to interact with children and support them as they play and learn.
What will I learn?
You will study a range of Childcare related units and develop your understanding of Childcare Learning and Development and will take part in a variety of practical and theory-based activities as you develop your knowledge of working in a childcare setting. Completion of the following units is a mandatory part of the course:
- Understanding Children's Development
- Keeping Children Safe
- Communication with Children and Adults
- Preparing and Maintaining Environments for Childcare
- Professional Development, Roles and Responsibilities in Childcare
- Supporting Children's Play and Learning
How will I be assessed?
Continuous assessment may take the form of written assignments, booklets, posters etc. Each unit is assessed separately and tasks are assessed against Pass, Merit and Distinction criteria.
You will also be assessed by College Placement Officers while on your practical placement and a good level of competence must be demonstrated.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Level 3 vocational courses, including Children's Care Learning & Development
- Careers - supervised nursery assistant
You will need to have a clear Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check in order to complete the course.
Purchasing a copy of the following course text book is advised:
- BTEC First Children's Care, Learning and Development by Sandy Green ISBN 978-0-7487-8408-0 (Nelson Thornes)