Foundation Hospitality, Catering & Employability Entry 3 & Level 1
About this course
This course would be suitable for students interested in pursuing a career in the Hospitality sector, but who would find the transition to the Level 1 Catering course difficult.
The course will enable you to have an insight into the Hospitality and Catering sector, by completing units in both food production in our training kitchens and food service within our Training Restaurant.
You will also complete a work placement within the Hospitality and Catering sector.
During the course you will complete assignments on units which can enable you to progress to a higher level course in Catering or to employment.
What will I learn?
- Working in the Hospitality & Catering Industry - this is a mandatory unit which gives an introduction to the types of career pathways available, working practices and skills/qualifications required
- Kitchen Equipment - this unit will introduce you to the safe and hygienic use of catering equipment. You will use a range of equipment including basic kitchen equipment, large specialist equipment and hand-held electrical equipment
- Basic Food Preparation - (starters, light meals/snacks and cooking for special diets) dishes will be produced in one of the training kitchens and will be served in one of the food outlets in the College
- Basic Food Preparation - making cakes, pastries and bread, these will be produced in one of our training bakery kitchens and products will be served in the College food outlets
- Food and Drink Service - this unit will give an introduction to serving food and drink to paying customers in our Training Restaurant
- Menu Planning - this unit introduces the basic principles of menu planning and costing. It will develop your knowledge of special dietary requirements within the Catering sector
- Work Experience Preparation - this unit will prepare you for a work experience placement. The placement will be in the Hospitality & Catering sector and lasts for one working week. It will also introduce safe working practices in the sector
- Using ICT in the Workplace - using ICT software applications including Word, Publisher and PowerPoint and develops the ability to be creative and identify suitable software for specific purposes within the Hospitality & Catering industry
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is through coursework.
What do I need?
- Satisfactory interview
Where can it take me?
- College - Level 1 or Level 2 VRQ Professional Cooking or Level 2 Bakery
- Careers - Employment at a junior level or further training
You will take part in a work experience placement.
You will be required to purchase a chefs uniform and a restaurant uniform (lists and suppliers will be provided).