Hair and Make-up Artistry Level 2
About this course
Working as a hair and make-up artist in today’s fast-paced and ever evolving industry, often requires a combined knowledge, skill and expertise in both hair and make-up, ensuring practitioners can meet the competitive industry demands.
This qualification is ideal if you are looking to start a career as a make-up artist who possesses the required attributes to combine creativity, professionalism and methodology.
You will be prepared for the realistic expectations of working within the make-up industry, appealing to future employers and clients, across a variety of themes, looks and commercial settings.
To further enhance your employability skills there will be opportunities for you to complete a one week work placement.
This compulsory aspect of the course gives you the chance to apply the knowledge gained in class to the real world of work.
What will I learn?
- Hair Preparation Services - this unit covers how to correctly prepare hair for a variety of hair treatments
- Dress and Finish Hair Services - this unit covers how to dress hair and finish hair into a variety of styles, using a range of tools, products and equipment
- Continuity Hair Services - this unit covers how to provide the continuity of hair services, to ensure the deliverance of maintenance and accurate detailing within a Media setting
- Make-up Applications - this unit covers how to apply a range of cosmetic and skin-care products, techniques and looks, to suit the needs and requirements of the client
- Fashion and Editorial Make-up - this unit covers how to create a range of contemporary high fashion and editorial looks, using a variety range of products, tools and techniques
- Face and Body Art Painting - this unit covers how to create a range of themed face & body-art looks, using a variety of products, tools and equipment
- Anatomy & Physiology for Make-up Artists - this unit will provide you with the underpinning knowledge required within each unit
- Continuity Planning for Make-up Services - this unit covers how to provide the continuity of make-up services, to ensure the deliverance of maintenance and accurate detailing within a Media setting
- Total Look for Competition Work - this unit covers how to design and create a ‘total look’ of choice, required for competition work, factoring the Hairstyle, Make-up and costume
- Health, Safety and Hygiene - this unit will help you learn to risk assess and manage a practical session
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be carried out by a variety of methods including two theory examinations, graded end-of-unit practical summative assessments, and one final synoptic practical examination.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 4 GCSEs at Grade D/3 or above with a Grade 3 in English and Maths.
Where can it take me?
- College - Level 3 vocational qualifications including Theatrical & Media Make-up or Level 2 qualifications in Beauty Therapy and Hairdressing
You will have the opportunity to deliver treatments in the College Training Salons and participate in a number of enrichment activities, including visits to industry shows and competitions, such as World Skills.