Health & Social Care OCR Level 3
About this course
If you are you interested in a career in Health or Social Care, this could be the course for you!
As part of the course you will undertake units related to the field of Health and Social Care, allowing you to progress into a variety of careers or higher education.
You will be required to undertake a placement one day a week to gain valuable hands-on experience of careers within these sectors.
Over the two years of the course you will study 18 units, all related to Health and Social Care and covering a range of subjects and the legislation that links to these sectors.
What will I learn?
Two examples of the units you will look at in more detail:
- Effective Communication - this involves learning about how to communicate with people who may be afraid upset or anxious and how to respond appropriately to different situations
- Equality, Diversity and Rights - this unit considers how people may be discriminated against and the strategies to support both the individual and the person inflicting the discrimination
In Year 2 there will be options to follow varied pathways related to Health and Social Care.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is by coursework, witness statements and role play. There are no exams.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- grade D in Science (a merit in BTEC Science may also be considered)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Health & Social Care HNC or choose from a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degree and professional qualifications
- University - degree in Social Work, Nursing, Midwifery, Occupational Health
- Careers - nursing, paramedic, health care assistant, midwifery mental health nursing
You are required to have a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for placements.