Professional Bakery Level 2 Diploma
About this course
This very practical course could be your first step towards an exciting career in Bakery.
It offers you the opportunity to develop intermediate practical skills and knowledge in a wide range of bread, pastry, flour confectionery and cake decoration techniques.
It offers a unique mix of knowledge units covering bakery knowledge and business enterprise, for those budding shop or bakery owners.
What will I learn?
Course content includes developing skills in handling and storing bakery ingredients and suppliers - you will spend a week in the stores dealing with the delivery, distribution and storage of bakery goods.
You will demonstrate skills in:
- Using Mechanical Dough Development by Spiral Mixing
- Processing Bread Using Activated Dough Development
- Process Bread Using the Bulk Fermentation Process
- Processing Bakery Morning Goods
- Proving, Baking and Frying Fermented Dough Products
For these practical units you will select, weigh, measure, prepare and mix, divide, shape and mould, tin and tray up, pre-bake and bake.
You will demonstrate pre-bake and post-bake skills in:
- Almond and Sugar-Based Flour Confectionery
- Cake and Sponge Flour Confectionery
- Pastry Based Flour Confectionery
- Scone Based Flour Confectionery
For these practical units you will select, weigh and measure ingredients, prepare and mix, deposit and process, pre-bake, bake and cool, prepare and finish, wrap, label and pack.
Theory units will help to further your understanding of the ingredients and methods used within bakery including:
- Principles of flour, fats and oils, sugars and starches, dairy products, egg and egg products, salt and dough conditioners/improvers, pre-mixes and concentrates, retarding and proving dough, pastry lamination and mixing flour confectionery and process control
You will also learn about the business aspects of setting up a bakery and cover topics such as developing a business plan, identifying the products and services you are going to offer and marketing of products and services.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be by observation assignments, theory tests and an assignment.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- College Progression - Level 3 Diploma in Professional Bakery or Level 2 Professional Cookery
- Careers - employment as a bakery assistant or any junior position in bakery manufacturing environment
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits.
You will participate in work experience in a bakery and have an option of playing a part in the annual Bakery Star competition.