Professional Bakery Level 3 Diploma
About this course
This very practical course could be your second step towards an exciting career in Bakery .
This is an opportunity for you to develop the practical and knowledge skills achieved at Level 2, which cover a wide range of bread, pastry and flour confectionery units.
It offers a unique mix of units covering bakery knowledge and business enterprise, ideal for those budding shop or bakery owners.
Theory units will help to further your understanding of the ingredients and methods used within bakery including principles of flour, fats and oils, sugars and starches, dairy products, egg and egg products, oven baking bakery products, preparing and handling bakery finishing materials, quality in food operations and product development in food operations.
You will also learn about the business aspects of running a bakery business and cover topics such as creating a vision, the planning to sell products and services and establishing customers’ needs.
To further enhance your employability skills there will be opportunities for you to complete a one week work placement.
This compulsory aspect of the course gives you the chance to apply the knowledge gained in class to the real world of work.
What will I learn?
You will demonstrate skills in:
- Craft Bread Making
- Enriched Dough and Morning Goods
- Proving and Baking Craft Fermented Dough Products
- Finishing and Packing Fermented Dough Products
For these practical units you will
- Select, weigh, measure, prepare and mix, divide, shape and mould, tin and tray up, pre-bake and bake
- Select, weigh and measure ingredients, prepare and mix, deposit and process, pre-bake, bake and cool, prepare and finish, wrap, label and pack
- Select the correct tools, equipment and ingredients to design a range of decorations
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be through assignments, practical observations and theory tests.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least a Pass in Level 2 Professional Bakery.
Where can it take me?
- College Progression - Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery course
- University Progression - related degree, such as Bakery and Confectionery Technology Management Degree
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits.
You will participate in work experience in a bakery and have the option of playing a part in the annual Bakery Star competition.