Professional Cookery Level 2 Diploma
About this course
This practical course is the next step towards an exciting career in Catering.
Having learned the basics at Level 1 you will get hands-on experience of cooking a range of dishes in our training and production kitchen.
The production kitchen supplies the College Restaurant and our paying guests.
To further enhance your employability skills there will be opportunities for you to complete a one week work placement.
This compulsory aspect of the course gives you the chance to apply the knowledge gained in class to the real world of work.
What will I learn?
- Investigate the Catering & Hospitality industry
- Food Safety in Catering Level 2
- Health & Safety in Catering & Hospitality
- Healthier Eating and Special Diets
- Kitchen Operations, Costs and Menu Planning
- Professional Cookery Craft Assessment
You will also have the opportunity to prepare and cook the following:
- Stocks, Soups and Sauces
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Meat and Offal
- Fish and Shellfish
- Rice, Pasta, Grains and Egg Dishes
- Hot and Cold Desserts and Puddings
- Paste Products
- Biscuit, Cake and Sponge Products
- Fermented Dough Products
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take the form of assignments, tests, skills tests and synoptic exams.
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least 1 GCSE at Grade D/3 or above with Grade 3 in English and Maths.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Level 2 Diploma in Professional Bakery, Level 3 Professional Cookery Diploma or Travel & Tourism with Hospitality
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits and have an opportunity to take part in a residential trip.
You will participate in work experience in a kitchen in the hospitality industry and have an option of playing a part in the annual Hospitality Star competition.