Professional Cookery Level 2 Diploma
About this course
This practical course is the next step towards an exciting career in Catering.
Having learned the basics at Level 1 you will get hands-on experience of cooking a range of dishes in our training and production kitchen.
The production kitchen supplies the College Restaurant and our paying guests.
What will I learn?
Course content includes:
- Investigate the Catering & Hospitality industry
- Food Safety in Catering Level 2
- Health & Safety in Catering & Hospitality
- Healthier Eating and Special Diets
- Kitchen Operations, Costs and Menu Planning
- Professional Cookery Craft Assessment
You will also have the opportunity to prepare and cook the following:
- Stocks, Soups and Sauces
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Meat and Offal
- Fish and Shellfish
- Rice, Pasta, Grains and Egg Dishes
- Hot and Cold Desserts and Puddings
- Paste Products
- Biscuit, Cake and Sponge Products
- Fermented Dough Products
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take the form of assignments, tests, skills tests and synoptic exams.
What do I need?
- 3 GCSEs with 1 subject at grade D and English and Maths at grade 2 (grade E)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Level 2 Diploma in Professional Bakery, Level 3 Advanced Professional Cookery Diploma or Travel & Tourism with Hospitality
- Careers - employment as a commis chef or any junior position in catering
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits and have an opportunity to take part in a residential trip.
You will participate in work experience in a kitchen in the hospitality industry and have an option of playing a part in the annual Hospitality Star competition.