Professional Cookery Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma
About this course
If you like the idea of running a busy restaurant kitchen, where cookery skills and craftsmanship are valued, the Advanced Diploma course covers the supervisory skills and all aspects of food preparation and cooking that you will require.
This course will allow you to develop and practice the skills required for successful employment and you will also gain valuable hands-on experience in managing a production kitchen.
Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of practical lessons, where you will be cooking a range of sweet and savoury dishes.
What will I learn?
- Supervisory Skills in the Hospitality Industry - develop the necessary knowledge and understanding of how to supervise, lead and train in order to develop good teamwork in a professional kitchen
- The Principles of Food Safety Supervision for Catering - train in accordance with regulation (EC) no 853/2004 of the European Parliament and of the council of 29 April 2004.
- Practical Gastronomy - gain the necessary knowledge and understanding of the principles of the dining experience. It covers the influences of the impact of gastronomy including cultural, religious, geographic location, transportation of commodities, science and technology.
You will have the opportunity to develop the advanced skills and techniques necessary to prepare and produce the following:
- Vegetable and Vegetarian Dishes
- Meat Dishes
- Poultry and Game Dishes
- Fish and Shellfish Dishes
- Fermented Dough and Batter Products
- Petits Fours
- Paste Products
- Hot, Cold and Frozen Desserts
- Biscuits Cake and Sponges
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take the form of assignments, theory and practical tests.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Level 2 Professional Cookery
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - Level 2 Diploma in Professional Bakery or a range of other professional qualifications, including those in Management and Leadership
- University - a Culinary Arts Management degree
- Careers - excellent opportunities in top hotels and first class restaurants possibly as a Chef de Partie or Commis Chef
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits and have an opportunity to take part in a residential trip.
You will also participate in work experience in a top hotel or restaurant and you will have an option of playing a part in the annual Hospitality Star competition.