Professional Cookery Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma
About this course
If you like the idea of running a busy restaurant kitchen, where cookery skills and craftsmanship are valued, the Advanced Diploma course covers the supervisory skills and all aspects of food preparation and cooking that you will require.
This course will allow you to develop and practice the skills required for successful employment and you will also gain valuable hands-on experience in managing a production kitchen.
Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of practical lessons, where you will be cooking a range of sweet and savoury dishes.
To further enhance your employability skills there will be opportunities for you to complete a one week work placement.
This compulsory aspect of the course gives you the chance to apply the knowledge gained in class to the real world of work.
What will I learn?
- Legal and social responsibilities in the professional kitchen.
- Financial control in the professional kitchen.
You will also have the opportunity to develop the advanced skills and techniques necessary to prepare and produce the following:
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat and offal
- Fish and shellfish
- Farinaceous dishes
- Desserts and puddings
- Paste products
- Biscuits, cakes and sponges
- Fermented products
- Chocolate products
How will I be assessed?
- 1 x 1 hour 30 minute computer based exam
- 1 x 6 hour kitchen practical exam
What do I need?
You will need to achieve at least a Merit in Level 2 Professional Cookery.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - a range of HNC/D, Foundation Degrees and other professional qualifications
- University - related degree such as a Culinary Arts Management degree
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits and have an opportunity to take part in a residential trip.