Dance A Level
About this course
This course is the academic study of contemporary dance. It consists of both practical and theory units. During the course you will study contemporary dance technique, choreography and performance. Theory work supports your practical dance studies through analytical essays on professional dance work. You will also study how the body works anatomically and how to prevent and care for dance injuries.
What will I learn?
The course content will include:
- Year 1 - Practical performance of a taught contemporary duet and creation and performance of your own solo contemporary choreography from a choice of questions set by the exam board. Theory work covers the study and analysis of a range of contemporary dance works. Anatomy and physiology in relation to the dancer is also studied.
- Year 2 - Practical performance of a taught solo dance and creation of your own group choreography from a question set by the exam board. Theory work covers an in-depth area of study of a particular company and its historical context and a set work chosen by the exam board.
How will I be assessed?
The course is externally examined in all units.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Attendance at a practical dance workshop consisting of a short and basic contemporary dance class (dance clothing and bare feet are essential)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching
- University or Dance Academy - related higher study
- Careers - in performing arts
Visits to professional dance performances are arranged to support your studies throughout the year. Dance combines well with English Language and/or Literature, Drama & Theatre Studies, Human Biology and Sport.