Public Services Level 1
About this course
Are you interested in a career in the Army, Police, Royal Navy, Prison Service, Fire Service, Border Force or Royal Air Force?
This one-year course is designed to introduce you to some of the skills and knowledge required for your chosen public service career.
It is also provides a platform to develop life skills and knowledge which can be applied to other career paths.
What will I learn?
Key features of the course include:
- Wearing Public Service uniform each day in College
- Taking part in formal parades, undertaking drill training and gaining a first aid qualification
- Assessed expeditions, including an overnight camp and both land-based and water-based activities as part of the course
- A wide range of topics including Fitness Testing, Responding to an Incident, Security Searches and Working with Others
- Work experience opportunities throughout the course
- Functional skills English and Mathematics embedded into the programme
How will I be assessed?
The course is based upon the successful submission of coursework, which can be through a variety of assessment methods such as observations, role plays and presentations.
What do I need?
A literacy and numeracy test will need to be completed, as well as a satisfactory interview with the course leader.
Where can it take me?
- College - a Level 2 vocational course, including Public Services
- FREE residential trips as part of the assessment process
- Use of College facilities such as fitness suite, sports hall, all-weather pitch, outdoor gym, on-site obstacle course
- Visits from members of the uniformed and non-uniformed public services, including the Armed Forces, Civil Service and the Police Service
- Regular practical assessment of fitness and expedition skills