Chemistry A Level
About this course
This course will suit you if you are practical, like solving problems and are good at maths. An ability to learn and recall facts will also help with the study of a wide range of chemicals and how they interact.
What will I learn?
In studying the core principles of Chemistry you will take a close look at essential calculations and chemical language and this knowledge will be further developed when you consider the applications of these core principles. Particular areas of study will include rates of reaction, structure and bonding, analytical techniques, carbon chemistry and an introduction to some 'green' Chemistry. This course includes practical work and you will be expected to engage in supported virtual learning.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by completing examinations at the end of the course. As well as this you will need to complete a minimum of three practical assessments each year. During term time your progress will be monitored with mock exams and continuous online assessments of memory and mathematical methods.
What do I need?
- 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C including English and Maths at grade 4 (grade C)
- Maths, Core Science and Additional Science (or Chemistry and one other Science Subject) at grade 5 (grade B)
In certain circumstances we will accept variations to this entry guide and create a personalised programme.
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - an exciting range of higher level courses, including Teaching, Applied Chemistry HNC/D and Computing & Systems Development HNC
- University - degree in chemistry, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary science or biochemistry
- Careers - in a wide range of industries
You will undertake an induction period at the start of the course to ensure you are supported and guided through the correct learning pathway.
Chemistry combines well with Biology, Physics, Geology, Maths, Computer Science and ICT.