Professional Cookery Level 1 Diploma
About this course
This very practical course could be your first step towards an exciting career in Catering.
Having learned the basics, you will get hands-on experience of cooking sweet and savoury dishes in our training kitchens, where you should be more than ready to progress to the next level.
While developing your understanding of the Hospitality & Catering industry you will be introduced to a range of topics.
What will I learn?
- An Introduction to the Catering & Hospitality Industry
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health & Safety Awareness in Catering & Hospitality
- Introduction to Healthier Foods and Special Diets
- Introduction to Kitchen Equipment
- Introduction to Personal Workplace Skills
You will also learn to prepare and cook food by the following methods:
- Boiling, Poaching and Steaming
- Stewing and Braising
- Baking, Roasting and Grilling
- Deep and Shallow Frying
- Regeneration of Pre-Prepared Food
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will take the form of assignments, tests and synoptic exams.
What do I need?
- Literacy and numeracy test plus satisfactory interview
Where can it take me?
- Halesowen College - a Level 2 vocational course, including the Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Careers - employment as a catering assistant or any junior position in Catering
Throughout the year you will participate in a range of educational visits and have an opportunity to take part in a residential trip.
You will participate in work experience in a kitchen in the hospitality industry and have an option of playing a part in the annual Hospitality Star competition.