Cash for College – financial support for students

Cash for College – financial support for students

Is your annual household income £43,680 or less?

Is your household in receipt of universal credit or other benefits?

16-18 years old and in care of a care leaver?

If you’ve said yes to any of the above, we could give you funding to support your education. 

Types of Support

  • 16-19 Discretionary Bursary
  • 16-19 Vulnerable Bursary
  • 16-19 Care to Learn (– apply via
  • 19+ Discretionary Learner Support
  • 19+ Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund

The household income thresholds for support are as follows:

  • Band 1 Up to £29,485 and/or in receipt of income-based benefits
  • Band 2            £29,486 – £36,038
  • Band 3             £36,039 – £43,680

Students assessed as being in Band 1 will be eligible to claim up to 100% of the maximum aware subject to resource availability and need. Band 2 – 60% and Band 3 – 30%

Vulnerable Bursary

If you are 16-18 years old on 31/08/2023 and one of the following applies to you, you may be able to access a bursary paid weekly, of up to £1,200 per year. 

  • In Care
  • Care Leaver
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit as the student is living independently or supporting a dependant.
  • Receiving both PIP/DLA and ESA/UC in the student’s own right

Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is based on financial need –

What funding can Cash for College provide? 

  • Meals – Monies loaded onto your college ID card to use in the college eatery’s (not transferable for cash)
  • Equipment and Uniform – Essential equipment and uniform can be funded if it is a requirement for the course.
  • Work Placement – Travel to work placement can be funded if required.
  • UCAS – application fees can be covered
  • Childcare  Click here to apply This covers:
    • A contribution towards your Childcare costs whilst you are studying at College.
  • Additional TravelClick here to apply This covers:
    • Travel if you cannot use College coaches due to medical reasons. You will need to supply evidence for this.
    • Travel if you live over 30 minutes walk from the nearest College coach stop. 
    • Travel to/from College work placements.
    • Travel to University open days.

How to Apply:

Follow the link for the Application Form –

Here’s the small print:

  • Evidence of income and benefits will need to be provided
  • Any monies paid will need to be paid directly into the student’s own bank account
  • Part time students will be paid on a pro rata basis.
  • All funds are distributed on a needs basis and are subject to affordability
  • Funds are finite and are allocated on a first come, first served basis
  • The amount of funding available is dependent on your total household income
  • Apprenticeships, HE, under 16 years old and non ESFA courses are not funded.
  • All financial support is subject to satisfactory attendance and behaviour

Contact Us

Please contact us if you have any queries regarding LSF using the following details:

Student Hub, Whittingham Road Campus

Live Chat –

Phone – 0121 602 7888 Email –

Our accreditation and awards